Life here in the Lone Star state is pretty sweet, you gotta admit. Take our mild winters for example. They’re enough to make the poor folks up North green with envy, especially in the middle of February. Still, right now is a great time to think about Austin heating repair services. After all, it only takes one bout with cold weather to turn a sunny disposition into a frozen scowl.
With that in mind, here are 10 heating system tips that everyone should implement, especially as the air turns brisk and the days grow short:
- Check your filters: A dirty or damaged filter can reduce your furnace’s capacity to keep you warm. It can also send your utility bills through the roof. Experts recommend changing your filters every 30-90 days.
- Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order: This only takes a few minutes. But it can literally make the difference between life and death.
- Flush your hot water tanks: This is important for removing sediment, which can limit the tank’s heating capacity and possibly damage its internal components.
- Caulk your windows and exterior doors: Otherwise you may let warm air escape into the Great Outdoors, driving up your monthly bills while giving your home the big chill.
- Check your chimney: Soot can build up over the years, increasing your home’s risk of a life-threatening fire. Have a professional chimney sweep do this job for you, as it can be dirty and dangerous for DIYers.
- Check your attic for critter litter: Squirrels, birds, and even bats can take up residence in the top of your home, destroying insulation and leaving their droppings all over the place.
- Trim your trees: In the off chance that Austin has an ice storm, which is known to happen every now and then. Nothing ruins the holiday season quicker than having a heavy limb come crashing into your living room.
- Check your vents and registers for obstructions: Things have a way of ending up in the wrong places over time, including directly over your home’s HVAC vents.
- Test your thermometer: Switch it back and forth from heating to cooling a few times, just to make sure it operates properly.
- Have a trusted Austin heating repair services professional give your HVAC system a once-over: This is a twice-yearly safeguard that can spot small problems before they turn into huge headaches.
Winter will be upon us before we know it. So take some time today to work your way down this top 10 list.
Before you know it you’ll be kicking back in your favorite chair and watching the seasons softly change. That’s a sure recipe for serenity, no matter how you think about it.